Historic fiber colors in needlepoint - Teaser!

We have our work in a wonderful local gallery here in Loveland Colorado (the FB page for you to like:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Independence-Gallery/171529599540195) that shares space with a high quality framing shop and a wonderful bead store.  It's such a great synergy helping all three business to stay in business.

But that's not what I wanted to let you know about...

A person brought in a large gorgeous needlepoint picture to be re-framed a week or so ago.  I was admiring the beautiful work depicting a woman in a lovely hat with a bird on her hand when the frame-shop owner mentioned that it was created in 1902.  I got pretty excited and I looked really closely at the colors after I heard this!

It's been my understanding that while synthetic dyes were first discovered in the mid 1850's, they weren't terribly widespread until the 1920's.  (I have not done fact checking on this, so if you know better, please enlighten me!)

As I looked at the needle point, I realized that I knew how to make almost every color in the painting!  And as a matter of fact, one of the greens was exactly the same as the green I had in the sweater I was wearing!  The sweater that I had dyed the yarn and knit!

I took a couple of pictures of the artwork and a closeup of my sweater with the green from the needle point to share.

But you don't get to see them until I chat with the owner of the piece.  I want to make sure she is okay with me showing it.

But I couldn't wait to tell you about this!  Colored yarn is amazing.

I know.  I'm a geek.


Comments

tandama said…
Love it! And i loved seeing your yarns at the HWG sale. How did you all do?

Popular Posts