Monday, December 15, 2008

Youve got to be kidding me

It make me sit bolt up right in bed spitting mad this morning when All Things Considered said that the bail-out had not curbed financial exec compensation.

Those rat bastards should have to sell ALL their mansions and carry brown bag pb&j sandwiches to work in their 1987 Ford Pinto with bald tires like the rest of us.

I am shaking impotent mad about the whole thing.

{breathe, breathe, breathe}

Knitting:
I finished my first sock this weekend. I bought some $3 sale yarn that is wonderful cotton angora blend. I have no idea what it was doing in the sale bin as it is black, but I snapped up 3 balls of it. So the first sock is too short and fairly lumpy as I figured things out. I am mostly teaching myself from various books and YouTube vids.

It's going to hang on the wall and be an emergency back-up sock while I knit a pair from the remaining 2 balls of yarn. One sock takes about 1 ball of yarn. Very clever these knitters.

My first sweater - I am going to stop knitting the body now and go back and pick up the sleeves. I am technically 2 skeins short in the rust alpaca, so I plan on using the indigo overdyed skeins for the bottom of the body, the collar, the button bands and the end of the sleeves. So I figured I had better get the sleeves done to see exactly how much I need. I think I'll knit a while on both sleeves until they are about even and see where I am and what needs to be done.

It like learning a new language that is spoken with the hands, sticks and yarn and produces warm things. And it's something I can control.

Unlike the incredibly stupid mess swirling around us all.

I wonder if things would be better without the all news channels pumping bad news at us all day long. I know its a tragedy, but do I need to know that a Swiss person was killed by driving his car off a cliff?

I try to balance my desire to know with my desire to just enjoy my life and friends. It's hard to know what to do.

4 comments:

Steve and Suzanne Buchele said...

Its been one of the weirdest things about being back, all the access we have to "the news". Africa was like taking a two-year news holiday. But how quickly we slip back into the our old ways. did the world, and by that I mean The United States, ever got along without us know everything that was happening. We need to take another news Holiday.
Nice to see you blogging again.

Alix said...

I decided to learn to crochet a few weeks ago and have been doing a lot of playing with it. So far I've made a 'sampler' and a funny hat. I have a 'leftover' skein (not a whole one, I don't think; a knitting friend left it here a while back) of maroon chenille that I think I'll try something with - maybe some kind of hand warmer to counter our bitter cold right now.

I'll second that it is nice to see your posts more often; I can almost hear your voice in them!

Spike said...

Steve,

There are still movies and songs that I don't know from the years I have spent "off the grid". It makes me bad at Trivial Pursuit. I know I need a news holiday. I think the vast majority of us would be chugging along just fine if the news wasn't always so hysterical.

Have a great one!

Love!

Spike said...

Dear Alix,

How cool is that! Crochet always has boggled me but it makes some really lovely things.

Funny hats are always a plus!

Keep warm!