Leap Year Day

I really really wanted to brew today. I have planned to make a traditional mead (read: plain honey with nothing else added) and put a case back to be gifted to folks on the next Leap Year Day in 4 years. But as I look at the little clock on the bottom of my screen, I see that it is officially 12:02 a.m. and my carboys are all still empty.

We had a terrifically full day with work including meeting with our sales rep, romping through the Denver Gem Show and getting a few great deals along with restocking the basics, and cooking a healthy dinner. But it became pretty clear long about 10 p.m. when we were finishing dinner that brewing was not going to happen.

So I have been debating with myself about the difference of a day or two for my plan. It's not really like Leap Year Day is based on a cool celestial occurrence - like the Spring Equinox (brewed a braggot last year with Pamela that took a First at the Colorado State Fair). Or even a full moon day, which is supposed to be an amazing time to brew. It's just an odd artificial catch-up day to keep our silly calendar from creeping away from actual wild natural time.

So if I happened to brew on Sunday and well, just sort of labeled the carboy 2/29/08 approx. would it really matter? In 4 years, would 2 days matter? Would the integrity of the celebration be less?

Another thing that kept me from brewing is I am still struggling with being sick. My husband tells me he is better but still weak from the fever he ran for several weeks. I keep bouncing congestion between my head and my upper chest with a sinus infection that comes and goes. I can't remember have a cold for this long ever. I am better, but feel sort of fragile about it. I bundle up and try to stay super warm all the time. I have been drinking a ton of water. We've gone through 6 bottles of astragalus and there are bottle of Zicam everywhere. It's sort of an item of stubbornness to not go to the doctor at this point. I am close enough to being well that even if antibiotics were something that the doctor would prescribe, I feel like it would be the quitter's way out. This being said, if I do somehow get bad again, I will go.

I keep debating the flu shot and the movie "I am Legend" keeps popping up in my brain. What if the flu shot makes me a flesh eating zombie? It could happen. Don't judge me.

The good news is my right thumb joint is better. I sprained/over worked it before Christmas spinning with some really gnarly fiber. I had to put my wheel away up in the studio to keep me from turning to it as relaxation. I am going to start slowly back to spinning and only work with good fiber. I may treat myself to a commercial carding of the last of the CVM fleece that I have. It's nice to be able to work zippers and pry the lid of of the Vitamin I (ibuprofen) jar.

Comments

Jim Downey said…
Another thing that kept me from brewing is I am still struggling with being sick. My husband tells me he is better but still weak from the fever he ran for several weeks. I keep bouncing congestion between my head and my upper chest with a sinus infection that comes and goes. I can't remember have a cold for this long ever. I am better, but feel sort of fragile about it. I bundle up and try to stay super warm all the time.

Gods, ain't it the truth. Alix and I collapsed with this flu after the memorial service for her mom, and basically didn't get out of bed for two weeks...and we both still have symptoms sufficient to make us wonder when we will ever be past it.

But hang in there, Spike. And don't be afraid to label that carboy *2*/29/08!

Jim D.

Popular Posts